区分从属从句

We’ve learned that there are three kinds of dependent clauses: subordinate clauses,** **relative clauses, and nominal clauses. 我们已经学过,从属从句(dependent clauses)有三种:从属从句(subordinate clauses,即状语从句)、关系从句(relative clauses)和名词性从句(nominal clauses)。

Sometimes nominal clauses superficially resemble subordi- nate or relative clauses. This chapter will help you get better at recognizing each kind. 有时名词性从句在外表上类似于从属从句或关系从句。本章将帮助你更好地识别每一种从句。

First, let’s review. **Subordinate clauses **are adverbial. They can modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs. When modifying verbs, they are usually moveable. They always begin with a subordinating con- junction: 首先,让我们回顾一下。从属从句(subordinate clauses,状语从句)具有副词性质。它们可以修饰动词、形容词和其他副词。当修饰动词时,它们通常可以移动位置。它们总是以从属连词(subordinating conjunction)开头:

While I have been working, the phone has been ringing. The phone has been ringing while I have been working. 我一直在工作时,电话一直在响。电话一直在响,我一直在工作。

Since my assistant left, my job has been harder. My job has been harder since my assistant left, 自从我的助手离开后,我的工作变得更难了。我的工作变得更难了,自从我的助手离开后。

Arthur is so generous that he never thinks of himself. 亚瑟如此慷慨,以至于他从不想到自己。

She runs faster than anyone I’ve ever seen. 她跑得比我所见过的任何人都快。

Relative clauses are adjectival, following nouns and occa- sionally pronouns. They begin with relative pronouns or relative adverbs and follow the nouns they modify. 关系从句(relative clauses)具有形容词性质,跟在名词、偶尔也跟在代词之后。它们以关系代词或关系副词开头,并跟在它们所修饰的名词之后。

Ed is the man who told me that story. The report that shocked me is summarized in the papers. It was he who called you earlier. We ate at the restaurant in Portland where we first met. 埃德就是那个给我讲那个故事的男人(who told me that story)。让我震惊的那份报告(that shocked me)已在报纸上作了摘要。早些时候给你打电话的正是他(who called you earlier)。我们在波特兰那家餐厅吃饭,那里是我们初次见面的地方(where we first met)。

Nominal clauses can fill noun positions just about anywhere in a sentence. Nominalizers or question words appear at the be- ginning of nominal clauses: 名词性从句(nominal clauses)几乎可以充当句中任何位置的名词。名词化标记或疑问词出现在名词性从句的开头:

I wonder if he will come to the party. I think that he will come. I wondered why you left early. We have learned how the mistake was made. Whoever speaks up will be heard. She can see whomever she likes. 我不知道他是否会来参加聚会。我想他会来。我想知道你为何早退。我们已经了解这个错误是如何造成的任何发声的人都会被听到。她可以见任何她喜欢的人

DISTINGUISHING NOMINAL CLAUSES FROM

区分名词性从句与

SUBORDINATE CLAUSES

从属从句

As we saw in the last chapter, nominal clauses are introduced by question words (who, what, where, when, why, how, and others) or by nominalizers (that, if, or whether): 正如我们在上一章所看到的,名词性从句由疑问词(who、what、where、when、why、how 等)或名词化标记(that、ifwhether)引导:

I know when they arrive. I know where they will arrive. I’ll decide whether we will go. I wonder if the weather will be pleasant. 我知道他们何时到。我知道他们将到达哪里。我将决定我们是否去。我想知道天气是否会宜人

You can often recognize nominal clauses because they fill noun positions in their sentences: subjects, direct objects, predicate nominatives, appositives, and others. In most sentences that con- 你通常可以识别名词性从句,因为它们充当句中的名词位置:主语、直接宾语、表语、同位语等。在大多数含有

tain nominal clauses, you can replace each nominal with a noun without changing the grammar of the rest of the sentence: 名词性从句的句子中,你可以用一个名词替换每个名词性成分,而不改变句子其余部分的语法:

I know Bob. I know Milwaukee. I’ll decide the matter. 我认识鲍勃。我知道密尔沃基。我将决定这件事

An exception is the word wonder: 一个例外是 wonder(想知道)这个词:

I wonder if the weather will be pleasant. 我想知道天气是否会宜人

Wonder can be a transitive verb with a direct object only if the direct object is a nominal clause. wonder 可以是一个带直接宾语的及物动词,但前提是直接宾语必须是一个名词性从句。

Here are some more examples: 以下是一些更多的例子:

My question is what happened to Ralph? [a predicate nominative] What happened to Ralph is the question. [a subject] I have learned what happened to Ralph. [a direct object] 我的问题是:拉尔夫发生了什么事?[表语] 拉尔夫发生了什么事就是这个问题。[主语] 我已经知道拉尔夫发生了什么事。[直接宾语]

Subordinate clauses, which are adverbial, may superficially re- semble nominal clauses because some subordinating conjunctions look like question words and nominalizers: 从属从句具有副词性质,它们在外表上可能类似于名词性从句,因为有些从属连词看起来像疑问词和名词化标记:

I always meet them when they arrive. I’ll meet them whether or not they are on time. I’ll meet them if they are on time. 我总是在他们到达时见到他们。无论他们是否准时,我都会见到他们。如果他们准时,我就会见到他们。

But it’s usually easy to distinguish subordinates from nominals. The subordinates—because they are adverbial—are often moveable; they can be shifted to the beginning or end of the sentence: 但通常很容易把从属从句和名词性从句区分开来。从属从句——因为它们具有副词性质——通常可以移动位置;它们可以被移到句首或句末:

When they arrive, I always meet them. Whether or not they are on time, I’ll meet them. **If **they are on time, I’ll meet them. 当他们到达时,我总是见到他们。无论他们是否准时,我都会见到他们。如果他们准时,我就会见到他们。

Nominal clauses can never be shifted this way. Before we go further, let’s practice distinguishing these clauses. 名词性从句永远不能以这种方式移动。在继续之前,让我们练习区分这些从句。

EXERCISES:

练习:

Distinguish Nominals from Subordinates

区分名词性从句与从属从句

13a. In the following sentences, classify the underlined dependent clauses as either subordinate or nominal. 13a. 在下面的句子中,将加了下划线的从属从句归类为从属从句或名词性从句。

  1. I will see if we have any milk.

  2. 我去看看我们还有没有牛奶。

  3. I will go to the store if we are out of milk.

  4. 如果我们没有牛奶了,我就去商店。

  5. Whether or not we are out of milk, I will go to the store.

  6. 无论我们是否有牛奶了,我都会去商店。

  7. I wonder whether we are out of milk.

  8. 我想知道我们是否没有牛奶了。

  9. I go to the store when we are out of milk.

  10. 当我们没有牛奶时,我就去商店。

  11. I will know whether we are out of milk.

  12. 我会知道我们是否没有牛奶了。

  13. I can’t understand how we could be out of milk.

  14. 我无法理解我们怎么会没有牛奶。

  15. I don’t know why we are out of milk.

  16. 我不知道我们为何没有牛奶。

  17. Why we are out of milk is what I want to know.

  18. 我们为何没有牛奶正是我想知道的。

  19. I told you that we would run out of milk.

  20. 我告诉过你我们会把牛奶用光的。

13b. In this next set, identify the dependent clauses and classify them as either subordinate or nominal. 13b. 在下面这组句子中,找出从属从句,并将它们归类为从属从句或名词性从句。

  1. Go see if Jim is here.

  2. 去看看吉姆是否在这里。

  3. We will start dinner if Jim is here.

  4. 如果吉姆在这里,我们就开始吃晚饭。

  5. If Jim is here, we can have dinner.

  6. 如果吉姆在这里,我们就可以吃晚饭。

  7. If Jim is here is what I want to know.

  8. 吉姆是否在这里正是我想知道的。

  9. I need to know whether Jim has arrived.

  10. 我需要知道吉姆是否已经到了。

  11. Whether or not he has arrived, we will now have dinner.

  12. 无论他是否到了,我们现在都要吃晚饭。

  13. When Jim arrives, we will have dinner.

  14. 当吉姆到达时,我们就吃晚饭。

  15. I know when Jim will arrive.

  16. 我知道吉姆何时会到。

  17. Please tell me how we can have dinner if Jim is not here.

  18. 请告诉我,如果吉姆不在这里,我们怎样才能吃上晚饭。

Distinguishing Nominal Clauses from Relative Clauses

区分名词性从句与关系从句

Relative clauses and nominal clauses may also resemble each other superficially. 关系从句和名词性从句在外表上也可能彼此相似。

Relative clauses are adjectival. They follow the nouns they modify, and they are introduced by relative pronouns (who, whom, whose, that, which) or by relative adverbs (where, when): 关系从句具有形容词性质。它们跟在它们所修饰的名词之后,并由关系代词(who、whom、whose、that、which)或关系副词(where、when)引导:

There’s the book that I need. This is the place where I lost my keys. 那儿有我需要的那本书(that I need)。这就是我丢失钥匙的那个地方(where I lost my keys)。

In both cases, the relative pronoun or adverb has a grammatical role in its relative clause. The pronouns, of course, have noun functions, and the relative adverbs have adverb functions. 在这两种情况下,关系代词或关系副词在其关系从句中都有一个语法功能。代词当然具有名词的功能,而关系副词具有副词的功能。

Here are two small points that are sometimes helpful: 这里有两个有时很有帮助的小要点:

  1. In relative clauses introduced by the relative pronoun that, the pronoun can usually be replaced by which without a significant change in meaning:
  2. 在以关系代词 that 引导的关系从句中,该代词通常可以用 which 替换,而意义没有显著变化:

There’s the book that I need. There’s the book which I need. 那儿有我需要的那本书(that I need)。那儿有我需要的那本书(which I need)。

There’s the cat that scratched me. There’s the cat which scratched me. 那儿有抓了我的那只猫(that scratched me)。那儿有抓了我的那只猫(which scratched me)。

  1. In relative clauses introduced by the relative pronoun who, the pronoun can usually be replaced by that without a change in meaning:
  2. 在以关系代词 who 引导的关系从句中,该代词通常可以用 that 替换,而意义不变:

There’s the man who helped me. There’s the man that helped me. 那儿有帮过我的那个男人(who helped me)。那儿有帮过我的那个男人(that helped me)。

There’s the woman whom I need to see. There’s the woman that I need to see. 那儿有我需要去见的那个女人(whom I need to see)。那儿有我需要去见的那个女人(that I need to see)。

Nominal clauses may superficially resemble relative clauses because they sometimes begin with question words that are identical to relative pronouns (who, whom, whose, or which), or identical to the relative adverbs when and where. 名词性从句在外表上可能类似于关系从句,因为它们有时以与关系代词相同的疑问词(who、whom、whosewhich)开头,或者以与关系副词 whenwhere 相同的词开头。

Nominal clauses may also begin with the nominalizer that, which is identical to the relative pronoun that. 名词性从句也可能以名词化标记 that 开头,它与关系代词 that 完全相同。

In distinguishing relative clauses from nominal clauses, remember these differences: 在区分关系从句与名词性从句时,请记住这些区别:

  1. In relative clauses, the relative pronoun always plays a gram- matical role in its clause, and the relative clause always follows the noun it modifies.

  2. 在关系从句中,关系代词总是在其从句中扮演一个语法角色,并且关系从句总是跟在它所修饰的名词之后。

  3. Nominal clauses will fill a noun position in the sentence; they do not always follow a noun, though they sometimes do.

  4. 名词性从句将充当句中的名词位置;它们并不总是跟在名词之后,尽管有时也会这样。

Also, in the that-if-whether clauses, the nominalizer plays no role at all in its clause, so the nominalizer that absolutely cannot be replaced by which: 此外,在 that-if-whether 从句中,名词化标记在其从句中不起任何作用,所以名词化标记 that 绝对不能用 which 替换:

RIGHT: I know that the weather will be pleasant. IMPOSSIBLE: I know which the weather will be pleasant. 正确:我知道天气将会宜人。不可能:I know which the weather will be pleasant.

RIGHT: I am sure that we have met before. IMPOSSIBLE: I am sure which we have met before. 正确:我确信我们以前见过面。不可能:I am sure which we have met before.

With these points in mind, let’s work with some sentences. 带着这些要点,让我们来练习一些句子。

EXERCISES:

练习:

Distinguish Nominals from Relatives

区分名词性从句与关系从句

13c. Classify the underlined dependent clauses as either relative (adjectival) clauses or as nominal clauses: 13c. 将加了下划线的从属从句归类为关系(形容词性)从句或名词性从句:

  1. I know that she likes me.

  2. 我知道她喜欢我。

  3. That she likes me surprises me.

  4. 她喜欢我这件事让我感到惊讶。

  5. That is the class that I want.

  6. 那是我想要的那个班级。

  7. That is the class that challenges me.

  8. 那是对我很有挑战性的那个班级。

  9. The people who like me are over there.

  10. 喜欢我的那些人在那边。

  11. I know who likes you.

  12. 我知道谁喜欢你。

  13. What fascinates me is calculus.

  14. 让我着迷的是微积分。

  15. We’ll learn why spring begins.

  16. 我们将学习春天为何开始。

  17. The day when spring begins is next week.

  18. 春天开始的日子是下周。

  19. I know the place where I can enroll.

  20. 我知道我可以在那里报名的那个地方。

13d. Identify the dependent clauses in these sentences and classify them as relative (adjectival) clauses or nominal clauses: 13d. 找出这些句子中的从属从句,并将它们归类为关系(形容词性)从句或名词性从句:

  1. I know who that is.

  2. 我知道那是谁。

  3. I will take the book that is least expensive.

  4. 我会拿走那本最便宜的书。

  5. There is the fellow whom I’ve met before.

  6. 那儿有我以前见过的那个家伙。

  7. I know whom you spoke with.

  8. 我知道你曾和谁说过话。

  9. There is the woman who hired me.

  10. 那儿有雇用了我的那个女人。

  11. The dog that bit me is in that yard.

  12. 咬了我的那只狗在那个院子里。

  13. Who steals my purse steals my gum.

  14. 谁偷了我的钱包,谁就偷了我的口香糖。

  15. I have learned what the answer is.

  16. 我已经知道答案是什么。

Distinguishing Subordinate Clauses from Relative

区分从属从句与关系

Clauses

从句

Once again, subordinate clauses are adverbial, but they may superficially resemble relative clauses because some subordinat- ing conjunctions (*that; so . . . that; when; *or where) look like the relative pronoun *that *or the relative adverbs when and where. 再次说明,从属从句具有副词性质,但它们在外表上可能类似于关系从句,因为有些从属连词(*that;so . . . that;when;*或 where)看起来像关系代词 that 或关系副词 whenwhere

We’ll remind you again about these differences: 我们将再次提醒你这些区别:

  1. Subordinate clauses, being adverbial, are usually moveable when they modify verbs, but relative clauses are never moveable.

  2. 从属从句具有副词性质,当它们修饰动词时通常可以移动位置,但关系从句永远不能移动。

  3. Subordinate clauses modify verbs and, less often, adjectives or adverbs. Relative clauses modify nouns and pronouns.

  4. 从属从句修饰动词,较少情况下修饰形容词或副词。关系从句修饰名词和代词。

  5. Subordinate clauses begin with subordinating conjunctions, while relative clauses begin with relative pronouns or relative adverbs.

  6. 从属从句以从属连词开头,而关系从句以关系代词或关系副词开头。

Here are some examples of subordinate clauses, using con- junctions that might be mistaken for relative pronouns or relative adverbs: 以下是一些从属从句的例子,使用了可能被误认为关系代词或关系副词的连词:

I begin my garden when spring begins. (When spring begins, I begin my garden.) 我在春天开始时开始打理我的花园。(春天开始时,我开始打理我的花园。)

There is hope where there is life. (Where there is life, there is hope.) 哪里有生命,哪里就有希望。(有生命之处,就有希望。)

My mother is happy that I have chosen my major. (This subordinate clause, modifying happy, is not moveable.) 我的母亲很高兴,因为我选择了自己的专业。(这个从属从句修饰 happy,不能移动位置。)

Here are examples of relative clauses. The first two use the relative adverbs, and the third uses the relative pronoun that. 以下是一些关系从句的例子。前两个使用了关系副词,第三个使用了关系代词 that

Spring is the season when I begin gardening. There is the place where I always have my garden. My neighbors enjoy the vegetables that I raise in my garden. 春天是我开始园艺的那个季节(when I begin gardening)。那儿有我总是打理花园的那个地方(where I always have my garden)。我的邻居们很喜欢我在花园里种出的那些蔬菜(that I raise in my garden)。

EXERCISES

练习

Distinguish Subordinates from Relatives

区分从属从句与关系从句

13e. This time identify the dependent clauses in the following sentences and classify them as relative or as subordinate. Some sentences have two dependent clauses: 13e. 这一次,找出下面句子中的从属从句,并将它们归类为关系从句或从属从句。有些句子含有两个从属从句:

  1. Because it is late, tomorrow we will see the movie that you want to see.

  2. 因为时间已晚,明天我们去看你想看的那部电影。

  3. When we saw The Martian, we enjoyed the story about the space traveler who is marooned alone on a planet.

  4. 当我们看《火星救援》时,我们很喜欢那个关于独自被困在行星上的太空旅行者的故事。

  5. We were quite surprised by the film that we saw last night.

  6. 我们对昨晚看的那部电影感到十分惊讶。

  7. This is the theatre where we saw that film.

  8. 这就是我们看那部电影的那个剧院。

  9. Is this the time when the next film is shown?

  10. 这是下一部电影放映的时间吗?

  11. You should tell your friends when you see a good film.

  12. 当你看到一部好电影时,你应该告诉你的朋友们。

  13. Where I come from, we have several good movie theatres.

  14. 在我来自的地方,我们有好几家不错的电影院。

13f. Finally, here’s an exercise that brings together all the concepts in this chapter. Identify the dependent clauses in the following sentences and classify them as relative, as subordinate, or as nominal clauses: 13f. 最后,这里有一个汇集了本章所有概念的练习。找出下面句子中的从属从句,并将它们归类为关系从句、从属从句或名词性从句:

  1. The place that we call home is Peoria.

  2. 我们称之为家的那个地方是皮奥里亚。

  3. I must see if they are here.

  4. 我必须看看他们是否在这里。

  5. I know that they have arrived.

  6. 我知道他们已经到了。

  7. I read an article about the accident that we saw yesterday.

  8. 我读了一篇关于我们昨天看到的那起事故的文章。

  9. We will see if the storm will hit.

  10. 我们将看看风暴是否会袭来。

  11. If the storm hits, we will be ready.

  12. 如果风暴袭来,我们就做好准备。

  13. I know the time when they will arrive.

  14. 我知道他们将会到达的时间。

  15. The town where I was born is very small.

  16. 我出生的那个小镇非常小。

  17. I wonder where he was born.

  18. 我想知道他出生在哪里。

  19. I will go to the airport when he arrives.

  20. 当他到达时,我就去机场。

  21. Whether we want to go or not, we must be at the airport.

  22. 无论我们想不想去,我们都必须到机场。

  23. I do not know whether he will be on the plane.

  24. 我不知道他是否会在那架飞机上。